Saturday, April 5, 2008

Rainy Day in Brugge

The first Thursday of Spring Break we went on a day trip to Brugge, Belgium. It was a rainy and cool day, but we went anyway. We took the train to get there. We left from Enghien which is about 10 minutes from us. We missed the train we wanted, but we waited for the next one to get there. It was Kym, myself, and the 4 kids. We took the double stroller which Kym carried on and off the trains, and I carried Brady. The first train took us about 20 minutes to Brussels where we got off and we had missed that train as well, so we had a little wait for the next train. There was a nice little food court in the train station where we got Belgian Waffles, hot and fresh! They were delicious!! The 2nd train we rode on was about an hour trip to Brugge from Brussels.


Brady on the Train


Jackson on the Train

When we arrived in Brugge since it was raining instead of walking we took a taxi from the train station to the chocolate museum. After the chocolate museum we walked to the Grand Place, which wasn't very far. We found a cute little restaurant to eat at for lunch. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere was very quaint and cozy. We sat right by the fire place. It was a Flemish restaurant so I wanted to order Flemish food. I ordered cheese croquettes as my starter and they were like little cheese sticks, but 10 times better than any cheese sticks I've ever had. They were amazing! My main dish was fish and chips (french fries) and the dessert was Amazing as well! I ordered the Profiteroles! SO yummy! They were little cream puffs filled with icecream and covered with the best chcolate sauce I've ever had! And inbetween each cream puff was a dollop of this whipped cream topping with the chocolate as well! I would definitely have that again! :)


On our walk to the Grand Place


The Grand Place


The Grand Place


The Grand Place- Our Restaurant was right along this row


Emarie at the Restaurant


Me at the Restaurant


Inside of the Restaurant


Brady at the Restaurant


The top part of the front of the Restaurant

After we got done eating we took the taxi back to the train station to go back home. I would love to come back to Brugge when it is nicer out and I can walk around somemore and see more of the city, and check out some of the shops. Brugge means bridges which is what the city is known for so I would like to take their canal tour and see some of their bridges. Next time I'm there I'll get to see more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't look like you are having any fun at all!! I am in Texas with my family, and it looks like I've got better weather than you! That's for teasing me when you left. How is everything going? I haven't gotten an e-mail in a while so I assume busy? Hope all is well, talk to you later!

jenny_rebecca said...

Now..what is this I hear about you being in Paris? I bet it wasn't awesome at all ;-)
I'm SO excited for you being able to finally see Europe. Hope you took lots of pictures while you were in Paris. Let me know how that went.
Everything is going well back here. Nothing too exciting. Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Remember what a Sioux County Dutchman would say:

De regen in Brugge, verblijven hoofdzakelijk in uw schoen."

The rain in Brugge, stays mainly in your shoes.

I think you've got it!

Keep smilin Tallulah!

D&N

Anonymous said...

Hi Talitha:

Can you say the Dutch saying that Dan gave you?

Dad