Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Easter Weekend

The Saturday of Easter weekend I went with Kym and 3 of the kids to a Birthday party for a little girl who was turning 1. It was fun being able to see someone else's house here. The house this family was living in was part of old horse stables that they turned into 4 or 5 houses. Their house was super cute inside.
After the party we stopped at couple of stores to find a white sweater for Emarie to wear for Easter. I only went in the second store, but it was kind of fun going in a European clothing store. I made my first purchase since I arrived in Belgium! I love shopping for shoes and I found a fabulous pair that I couldn't pass up. It was interesting at the counter because the first person that helped us only spoke in French and so she went and got someone to help us that knew some English.
Early in the evening we went to the Cathloic Easter Vigil service. The service started outside by a fire that they had going, symbolizing sacrificing the passover lamb. We all received candles to hold and when we walked back inside the church was all dark and then slowly as the candles got lit it got a little brighter and eventually the lights got turned on and we blew out our candles. The whole service was very liturgically based, and the mood was fairly somber throughout most of the service. The priest gave no sermon, because he thought the liturgy spoke for itself. I got to thinking during the service and decided I'm not a big fan of liturgy. I don't mind it once in a while but to me it seems like their Easter service is exactly the same every year and for me that's too predictable and mundane. I like seeing God work in new and unexpected ways. The only joyous part of the service I felt was the ending hymn which was a familiar one to me, Christ the Lord is Risen Today!
After the service the Wampler dropped me off at Kyle & Stephanie's. Kyle was gone so I hung out with Stephanie and the kids. A couple other ladies were over hanging out when I got there so we played Nintendo WII, bowling. That was fun!
Sunday morning I woke up to the sun shining. I was so excited! We got to church quite a bit early because I was helping with a reading for Easter Sunday and didn't know if they were going to practice or not. They didn't, but donuts and pastries were set out to eat, so we were able to enjoy those. The mood of the Baptist service was a joyous, exciting one. We sang all the typical Easter hymns, and I was happy because we sang my Favorite, He Arose!!!! I love that one. That made my day right there. The church was full, which was a first since I've been here. The reading I did went well. It was like doing one of the dramas I've helped with at Central Park. Nothing too difficult!
After church I helped Stephanie hide some Easter treats in the backyard for the kids to find. We also took some pictures outside since it was so nice out!


Me & Jenna




My 3 cousins- Bryason, Casey, & Jenna

Late afternoon, Stephanie drove me back to the Wamplers and then stayed for supper, because the Wamplers had invited a whole bunch of people over for an Easter meal. We had a big party! There were 9 adults and 14 kids!! The food was all delicious, but not quite like having Mom's Easter dinner!! That one is for you Mom! :)

No comments: