Saturday, March 29, 2008

Palm Sunday

This year Palm Sunday and Easter were new experiences for me. First of all this was the first time I have ever been out of the country for Holy week. Secondly I was able to have two Palm Sunday and Easter experiences this year. I got to have a Catholic experience and a Baptist Experience.
I started out Palm Sunday at the Catholic service. We missed the first 10 minutes so I don't know what happened, but we got there as everyone made a processional from the fellowship area to the sanctuary. Everyone received a palm leaf to carry with them. It was my second Catholic service and it was kind of cool because they sang a couple hymns that I recognized that we've sang in the Reformed church before! After the Catholic service I got dropped off at the Baptist church, where there were no Palm Branches at all. It was kind of interesting because to me the Baptist Palm Sunday service was a little bit more somber than the Catholic service. The focus of the service was on how Hosanna means save us and was more of a political statement than a celebratory parade. The Pastor's main text was Luke chapter 19 verses 28 - the end of the chapter. One statement he made that really struck me was God is a large God, yet he is also a personal God and touches each of us right where we're at.
For lunch I went with my Aunt and Uncle and cousins to the Px on base for lunch at the food court, and then we went and got grocceries. I spent the rest of the afternoon with them just relaxing.
In the evening they went to church for Awanas and I went with them and this time I went to the Adult Bible study. I'm here to try new experiences so I thought I'd try something new this time. They watched a video by Ray VanderLaan about the Easter story, and then had a discussion time. I got alot out of the video, and it was interesting. He mentions in the video that according to tradition Lambs were sacrificed at 3 Pm for Passover and that was the exact time of Jesus' Crucifixtion, and he was the ultimate passover lamb. Another thing I had never realized before is that Jesus came out of the Tomb and then the angel came and rolled the stone away! The other thing that struck me from the video is that it mentions that Jesus cries twice in the same week and it is deep sorrow. He cries at the death of Lazaurus and on his way to Jerusalem during the procession for Palm Sunday. This shows that Jesus feels our hurt! So, I have two questions for you: How does Jesus Cry for you? and Can you accept a King who Came as a Lamb?

No comments: