Monday, March 24, 2008

A Day in Mons

Belated Happy Easter Everyone!! :)

Last weekend on Friday night I spent the night at Kyle & Stephanie's house. My cousin Jenna was so excited because I was going to be sleeping in her room! They picked me up on base, and then we stopped by a little European Sandwich/ Pastry shop to get food for the kids. It was a cute little place, and the menu was in French. Stephanie said they have the best Paninis, so I'll have to try one sometime. Stephanie and I didn't get food because we went to a Creative Memories party at her friends house. It was fun to see the new scrapbooking product that Creative Memories has out now.

On Saturday Kyle, Jenna, Bryason and I went to Mons, which is the capital of the Province of where we are located. It was my first sightseeing I've done since arriving. Otherwise, I had only seen Belgium from driving to the different Bases, and going to church. Mons was like I would guess a typical European city to be. There were lots of cool old buidings and narrow cobblestone streets. Mons is built around a hill, so the center of Mons is on top of the hill. We parked the car and walked around the streets. We saw the Grand Place, and just explored some little side paths. We also went inside the Cathedral in Mons. We ended with lunch at a Donor Kebaps. (A Turkish sandwich place) I just had a turkey sandwich but it was delicious!




The Grand Place


We took this little path that ended up in a cool courtyard area




The Courtyard






The Cathedral




Inside the Cathedral




Me standing outside the Cathedral


Jenna (my 3 yr. old cousin) outside the Cathedral

1 comment:

jenny_rebecca said...

That looks like such a pretty town. It's nice that you got to do a little site-seeing.
Hope you're doing well. How are things going with the family? Getting a routine down with the kids? Send me an e-mail sometime with your address. Take care!!!