Thursday, March 6, 2008

Getting Acclimated

Hello Everyone!

I made it! I'm in Europe. I'm still wrapping my head around the idea of actually being here. I arrived in Belgium Wednesday morning at 7:OO AM. You guys back home were still sleeping as it was the middle of the night. Richard (the dad) and Emarie (the 12 yr old. and only girl) met me at the airport and then we took the train to a town probably about 10 minutes from the house. Wednesday was spent meeting the family and getting to know them a little bit. I got the full tour of the house (Which is huge by the way!) My room is wonderful! I will be posting pics of my room soon! I have had no time to do that yet. They kept me up all day so I could get on a regular sleeping schedule. I met their HUGE dog Buttercup in the middle of the afternoon and the dog practically ate me!! I'm not even kidding! That was probably the worst part of the whole first day! :) Otherwise I was tired, but good. They took me out to supper on the Shape Airforce base to the Shape Club. I kept myself awake till about quarter to 9:00 (Belgian time) and then was out! I slept really well for my first night.

Thursday was another full day. In the morning we went back to Base to a women's Bible study, that Kym (the Mom) attends every Thursday morning. It's called PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) It was a mix of all different kinds of women from all various places, and different religious backgrounds. I'm excited to go to this Bible study and be able to be a part of a women's group. In the afternoon we went to the Base about 20 minutes from Shape to the PX and Commissary. They have a play area at the PX and a mini food court so we had lunch there. They have a place called Donor Kebabs (With Turkish food) so I tried that. It was very good. It was a pita filled with all sorts stuff (Cabbage, meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese.) Then we did some shopping at the PX and then more shopping (for grocceries) at the Commissary. We didn't get done will of that till 5:00! I had no idea of what time it was till we got in the car to come home. In the evening after the boys were in bed we had a girls night (Kym, Emarie and I). It was relaxing! They have Tivo hooked up to American shows so, we watched American Idol (From Tuesday and One Tree Hill)

So far I can tell it's going to be a growing experience in many ways (as I already knew) but I have a feeling I'm going to learn alot! Already faith wise, I know I'm going to be challenged. As I've been observing and figuring things out the last couple days, the family has an interesting mix of reglious backgrounds. I've been trying to figure out my roll here and I know God has placed me here and is going to use me! I think for Kym, I'm going to be a listener to things going through her mind. And my roll with the kids is to hopefully bring a quiet and peaceful spirit to the household.

Emarie is a very responsible 12 year old and I think she and I will form a good friendship. I know God is calling me to be an example for her, and be someone she can trust and l hopefully can teach her about Christ more and more. Collin (the 7 1/2 year old) is a day dreamer and off in his own little world. He seems to like to antagonize his sister. Jackson ( the 3 1/2 year old) now he's a handful! He's definitely a lively one! But he's cute! My prayer is to hopefully be a calming influence on him, because he is a CRAZY man! Brady (the baby and 18 months) is sweet, but likes to sometimes mimick the behavior of Jackson!

Well it's late and I need to head to bed, but I thought I should post something! I'll be back soon with more of my crazy new adventures!

1 comment:

jenny_rebecca said...

OHHH! I'm SO happy you made it there and are settling in! You have been in my thoughts and prayers this past week a lot. I hope everything works out well with the family.
Do you think you will be able to see your aunt and uncle sometime?
Hope you have a good time and can't wait to see some pictures!